Thursday, December 9

7 Years Behind...

In 1993 Christy Turlington showed her navel ring during a fashion show in London.
The belly-button piercing quickly became a fashion accessory reaching it's peak in popularity in 1997.

In June 2000 before traveling to the illustrious "Beach Week" my parents told me to be safe.  My father added if I came home with ANY piercing's he would personally rip them out. 
(notice the work rip as opposed to take)
 
I returned piercing free.
In 2004 (7 years after the height of navel piercings), I was interning in Manhattan with a friend.  We got bored on a Saturday afternoon and decided to get my belly button pierced.  At this point, I may have been the only person I knew without a belly button piercing.  My mother had even taken my younger sisters to have theirs done, by theirs I mean my 2 younger sisters AND my mother. 

At 21, I did not bother to tell my father about additional accessory; however, he did coincidentally lose a bet to my Aunt that very same year in regards to how many piercings his daughters had. 

I now find myself in a oddly similar position. 

In 1995 Ugg Holdings, Inc sold their brand and idea to Deckers Outdoor Corporation, which started promoting the now renowned brand in the US through celebrity promotion.  The brand's popularity is marked to have taken a significant turn in the early to mid 2000s.  For the purposes of this article I will estimate 2004.

As 2011 approaches, I have my first desire for Ugg boots.
Much to the pleasure of my boyfriend, I have avoided the trend for the past 7 years; however, after attending the ACC Championship game in rainy, 30 degree weather, I have decided they may be a necessity.

I don't like the way the traditional Ugg boots look; however, I have found 1 2 styles that I like.

These are the UGG Broome II boots.  I love them!
They look a little like riding boots; however, they are also lined with the sheep-skin that everyone loves their UGGs for.  I also love the weathered look on the toe.  
Ahhhh...swoon!

These beauties are old news, I'm aware; however, I do love the classic knit look.
For those that don't already know, they are the UGG Classic Cardy. 
I could see myself wearing these similar to how most young ladies where their UGGs:  with skinny jeans, a oversized, comfy sweater, and a good book as an accessory. 

They still seem to be more of a house slipper to me but maybe one's I would be embarrassed to be seen in!

So after 7 years, I will have to see if I can finally convince myself to join this trend too.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!