Monday, July 11

I would drive 500 miles.

When I wake up yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who wakes up next to you
When I go out yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who goes along with you

If I get drunk yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who gets drunk next to you
And if I haver yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who's havering to you

But I would drive 500 miles
And I would drive 500 more
Just to be the girl who drove 1000 miles
To fall down at your door...

When I come home yeah I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who comes back home to you
And if I grow old well I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl who's growing old with you

When I'm lonely yes I know I'm gonna be
I'm gonna be the girl whose lonely without you
When I'm dreaming yes I know I'm gonna dream
Dream about the time when I'm with you.

But I would drive 500 miles
And I would drive 500 more
Just to be the girl who drove 1000 miles
To fall down at your door  
I used to love this song - & now with a couple of changes it applies so much more. 

Over the last few days Beau and I have driven the 1,057 miles from Fairfax, VA to Fort Myers, FL.
Today, he started his new job in South Florida.

Well having my boyfriend move over 1,000 miles away is tough logistically and emotionally.
Let's start with logistics:
1,057 miles - approximately 16 hours in a car.  When Beau and I normally take a road trip it's limited to the 4-6 hour range.  We strategically plan our departure around the Orioles game.  He listens to the game and I sleep.  We are the perfect road trip companions.  The prospect of 16 hours in the car without a timely Orioles game was a little daunting.

We actually had a blast, intriguing conversation, competitive road games, laughing, singing, and outright fun.  I didn't fall asleep once, and the long hours in the car seemed to pass quickly.

Now emotionally:
This bit's a little tougher.  I could not be more proud of Beau; he has accomplished so much in his professional life and this promotion is a true testament, I'm not the only one who has noticed.  It's been a hard transition for me though. 

I guess when you're truly in love with someone you want the best for them even if may not be the easiest for you.
There is a very selfish piece of me that wants to beg him not to go.  To stay in Northern Virginia with our houses, our dogs, and our friends and family close by.  This would be asking him to forego a promotion, additional financial gain and continue to deal with DC metropolitan traffic, snowy winters, and the stress-inducing political chasm, and constant firestorm.

Actually, maybe I should relocate.  Year round beach weather, golf, and tanning doesn't sound too bad.


Have you ever had to deal with a long distance relationship?  What advice do you have for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!