Monday, January 10

Wash your mouth out...

Every year all around the world people come up with New Year's resolutions, arbitrary goals set for themselves most often centered around self improvement (health, wealth, character, etc).

Recent research shows that ...only 12% actually achieved their goals. A separate study...showed those who succeed have 5 traits in common.  Men achieved their goal 22% more often when they engaged in goal setting, (a system where small measurable goals are being set; such as, a pound a week, instead of saying "lose weight"), while women succeeded 10% more when they made their goals public and got support from their friends. - wikipedia
 I personally hate resolutions - they are too easy to break; however, armed with the knowledge that I am 10% more likely to succeed if I make my goals public, here we go.

The New Year's resolution I made was a simple one. 
As opposed to a life change, it felt more like a Lenten promise.  During Lent Christian's "give up" something that is supposed to help break a bad habit or provide them a way of better themselves.  Often these are smaller steps to becoming a better person, i.e. giving up soda or red meat.  Well my New Year's resolutions was to watch my language.  
I by no means think I have the mouth of a sailor; however, I have noticed I occasionally use a curse word to provide emphasis.  Never around my elders or children, but even within my peer group it seems unnecessary.  I find it quite revolting and superfluous when I hear others use curse words so I guess maybe it's time to hold myself to the same standards. 

1 comment:

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!