Friday, February 25

Surprise...

I know, you didn't expect to hear from me this weekend did you?
Well, surprise - I finished up a FANTASTIC trip for work a little early and have some down time to fill you in on life (as if you care - tough stuff - that's why I started this stinkin' blog anyway).

So here's what's on the agenda for today, feel free to peruse at your desire.
1. I TOTALLY ROCK!!!
2. The SOUTH totally rocks!!!
3. My parents, you got it, totally rock!!!

I love sales. Today.  I don't always love being in sales.  I think from the outside looking in it's glamorous.  People often see lots of money, expensive belongings, flexible hours, and a dream job.  Welcome to reality:  I fight for every penny I make.  I bargain, haggle, negotiate, provide endless hours of customer service only to have a potential customer tell me they are going in a different direction, not buying right now, don't have the budget, etc, etc, etc.  Often times it feels completely out of my control.  I think to myself, how could I have explained it better, what could I have done to prove the value, where did I misstep?  Simply, sometimes I'm spinning my wheels.  
I think my co-workers and bosses were a little skeptical when I told them I was "touring" North Carolina.  I planned three FULL days of meetings with various levels of prospects, and clients.  I have traveled over 600 miles and I haven't even begun my journey home.  Well fellow workers, take your skepticism and SHOVE IT!!!!!  In the past two days of my tour I have closed nearly $130,000 in business.  My Q1 quote $125,000.  Yup - two days of work; I deserve March off.  
I kid, sort of.  I should also clarify that I have $130,000 in verbal commitments.  In sales, verbal means next to NOTHING.  I don't get paid until they pay us, so even the contract makes very little impact on my pocketbook.  But regardless, I am willing to acknowledge that today - I am good at what I do.  I am proud of what I do.  This has not been easy - I rock!

Which leads me to my second point.  The physical and mental toll that 2 days of traveling, back-to-back meetings, elongated remote working, multi-tasking, and utter chaos that a "road warrior" faces often times seems insurmountable; however, I am unphased.  Why?  There's something about the South.  I don't know whether it's the cool breeze (or outright wind in today's case), the mannerisms of the local inhabitants, the complete and utter lack of traffic, or just simply the longitude - but, I'm in HEAVEN!  I have had two of the most strenuous and taxing days of my career and I'm still jubilant.  Excessive, maybe.  It's not so much that DISLIKE D.C. but I just love it here.  I feel much more at home.  Literally, everyone seems so nice.  Maybe it's just by comparison.  Even the gas attendant called me ma'am.  Usually I'd be offended because it was some sort of slight regarding my age, but here it's just commonplace.  Ahhhh, refreshing.  Don't get me started on the pace of life.  Have you ever noticed that when you travel from Virginia to North Carolina the speed LIMIT jumps at least 5 mph; however, the ACTUAL speed of the cars doesn't particularly change.  I know it's a bit dramatic but it just feels like they actually live for the moment here.  When can I move?

Enter point three.  I can not, or will not move, for at least the next 6 months.  My house, sadly, did not sell.  We had contracts - they didn't work - so is life.  I'm over the myriad of emotions that go along with that; however, I did find some silver lining.  My parents - TOTALLY ROCK!  In this case, I'm specifically talking about BEING my rock(s).  I think everyone goes through some sort of "turmoil" with their parental relationships.  Over the years that "turmoil" has resulted in me acting independently of them - for better or worse.  But when it all boils down to it, I know I can count them.  Throughout the roller coaster that has been selling my first home, both my Mom and my Dad have provided invaluable guidance and emotional support.  All I've ever really needed from them is emotional support.  This time, they 100% got it right!  They mirrored my feelings, changed my opinions, provided advice, and LOVE!
Yeah, yeah - I know the older I get the sappier I get but I'm also attributing some of it to the fact that I think we just understand each other better.  They tend to hear me out more than I ever remember them doing before.  They seem to comprehend my perspective while (occasionally) being able to offer their own - without imposing it.  I'm pretty lucky.  I'll take that!

Holy post - no pictures, all words, a little emotional.  I'll give you a break.  Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!