Monday, February 7

The Gym is Counter-productive!

Stay with me here.

How it SHOULD work:
You go to the gym to get/stay healthy and fit.
You literally work your @$$ off & you feel sexy.
Feeling sexy boosts your self confidence.
Your self confidence helps motivate you to go back to the gym.
You get sexier by the visit and stay healthier to boot.
{fall.in.the.rabbit.hole}
How it ACTUALLY works:
You notice your ever growing muffintop.
You go to the gym to get healthier and more fit.
You get to the gym and it's full of women that need to eat a cheeseburger.
You take a class to get back in the rhythm of working out.
You realize 15 minutes into the class exactly how out of shape you are.
You struggle through the remaining 45 minutes of class.
You leave the gym dejected, too embarassed to go back.
You vow to get in good enough shape at home before you step foot in the gym.
It's another 3 months before you gain enough confidence to exercise in public, much less a gym.
{aishiteru.shit!}
Maybe it's just me but this seems to be the vicious relationship I've had with my gym.
I told you back in January, I was trying to hold myself accountable and get back in shape.

Don't get me wrong, I am very fortunate.
Whether it's my genetics, habits, interests, or just plain ol' luck I've never been anything but slender
(knock on wood - again, & again, & again).
Being slender does not necessarily mean that you are healthy or in shape.  
I have ridden that very roller coaster myself, & I'd like to get off the ride now.

My theory on the gym came up when I returned on Sunday morning.
I've been a few times since my promise in January; however, it was mostly because the snow and cold made it too hard to run outside.
Sunday I tried a new challenge.
I was bored with my running routine so I decided to try a group class; Cardio Dance.

I walked into a class where almost everyone was 2x my age.
I was a little concerned before class started that I wouldn't get a sufficient workout.
BOY WAS I WRONG.
These ladies were kicking my butt left & right.
To make matters worse, I watched it all unfold in the full length mirrors that lined the room.
I saw the 65 year old woman behind me bouncing along to the music joyfully as my spare tired jumped to the same rhythm as the music.
I left the class a little embarrassed that I couldn't keep up & completely dejected because I don't remember when it became so hard to stay fit. 

I'm forcing myself to go back.  
I'm too competitive (even if it is just with myself) not to beat this class.
I will at some point bounce through the class with as much joy as the 65 year old woman.  
Hopefully, sooner rather than later, my spare tire will get the notice that it's not invited to play and should probably TAKE A HIKE!

Until then - here's a sneak peak at my office, refrigerator, car, etc, etc.
Hopefully you can use it as a little motivation too!

Here's my gym schedule this week:
Tonight: 8:00 pm Yoga
Tomorrow: 5:30 pm Body Sculpt
Wednesday: 6:30 Body Pump
Thursday: 7:00 pm Body Pump
Friday: Day Off
Saturday: Running Outside
Sunday: 9:00 am CARDIO DANCE

What are you doing to stay healthy in 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!