Thursday, June 16

handywoman > handyman

I am handier than my boyfriend.
Correction, I am less fearful of screwing something up, which in turn makes me (at least appear) handier than my boyfriend. 
{pinterest}
I am a "do-it-yourselfer" AND I like instant gratification.

Here's how I tend to look at it...
I could (a) do it myself or (b) hire someone else to do it.  
If I opt to DIY I could get more customized result in a (fairly) timely manner for a less expensive cost OR I might totally screw it up and have to hire someone to fix my mistake.
I would rather take the risk for originality and cost savings.

My last DIY project didn't include too much customization or originality but I certainly saved time & money.

During my home inspection, the inspector noted that my garbage disposal blades had seized.  I was convinced that he was wrong as I had never had any problems with the disposal before. 

After several attempts to unlock the blades with a key/allen wrench I resigned to not having a garbage disposal at all.  Although I was no longer disposing of leftover food down the sink, the drain began to drain more and more slowly each day. 

It became impossible to run the dishwasher which would overflow the sink and leave DISGUSTING deposits of food bits, soap scum, and who knows what else in my stainless steel sink.
 Eventually, the drain was so slow I couldn't even hand wash dishes on the right side of the sink.
A little internet research, a couple of minutes of prodding at my current disposal, & off to Lowe's I went.
 I found the same exact disposal for only $85 & began the replacement process.

MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF THE FUSE AT THE CIRCUIT BREAKER.
The key to being a Handy-woman requires preventing injury otherwise my ENTIRE theory on DIY is null and void because you're risking much more!

Since I was lucky enough to be replacing the old disposal with the same model the removal and replacement instructions are essentially the exact same in reverse.


 Once you've disconnected all the plumbing the electrical wires feed in through the bottom of disposal.  

Now that you've removed the old unit, hit the rewind button.
  1. Connect the electrical wires for the new unit:  If you've ever replaced a light fixture, this is essentially the same.  Again, make sure the power is off to the disposal, then match colors, attach grounding wire.
  2. Attach new disposal to sink top: Mine was as easy and screwing it in to the mounting bracket.
  3. Attach dishwasher drain tube
  4. Attach sink drain arm
  5. Supply Power & Test.
Like I said, super easy & instant gratification.  Finally, I could take care of this mess!

Are you a DIY queen?  Is it just home remodels or do you dabble in plumbing, electric, & "man's work" on occasion too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you're thinking, practicing or just let me know you're still reading. Pursue perfection!